Tuesday 13 May 2014

Blogging as a Social Experiment

Blogging as a Social Experiment

photo credit: Mexicanwave via photopin cc 



Like many of you I've tried various different avenues to help grow my blog. There are those that tell you to blog once a day, some say only once a week. Still others suggest you should post five times a day if you can come up with enough quality material. So what's the answer?

I don't think there is any one right answer, but based on my own experiments a couple of things have become clear to me. First, if your a Pro Blogger then posting once a week will likely garner you a significant audience, because you've already established yourself. This won't work for you if you are just getting started.

You might have developed a small following, but they haven't established a firm loyalty to you yet. There is still a feeling out process going on.

In the past few weeks I've tried on a couple of occasions to limit my posts for a few days to see what happens. What have I found? I've still got a long way to go. 

When I post on a regular basis, every day or every other day at least, I have a pretty steady audience. When I stop posting for a few days it quickly tapers off. You might say I haven't developed enough brand loyalty yet. 

I guess it would be like opening a restaurant in a remote location, but not telling anyone you're there. If they happen to drive by, they might see you there and stop in and be pleasantly surprised. You know you make great food, but nobody else does. So until you've established yourself you need to advertise, and advertise often.

How does this relate to a blogger? Well just like the new restaurant owner you need to get the word out. As a blogger the best way to do that is to post, and post often. 

If you can pump out three or four quality articles a day do it. If you can only produce one a day that's fine, just don't let it go more than a day or two or you'll probably have to work hard to reestablish yourself. Developing a committed following takes time and dedication.

How can providing people with quality, interesting articles be a bad thing? It's not. Where people make mistakes is when they produce post after post of weak content. Yes you can overwhelm an audience, but I believe if you're able to produce good content, and you can do it more than once a day, then you can only benefit from it.

This is based on my own experience. If you write an article that goes viral who knows? This won't happen for most. You'll likely have to do it the old fashion way. Hard work.

Good luck! What works for you? How frequently do you think a blogger should be posting articles? Let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment